Friday, September 7, 2012

Have You Filled A Bucket Today?


By: Miss Brooke 
-Oceanside Pre-K

As school begins, all of the early childhood teachers grow more and more excited about the coming year. In my first year as a head teacher, I was ecstatic to share a special book with my very first class. "Have you Filled A Bucket Today?" by Carol McCloud tells the story of the invisible buckets each and every one of us carry throughout the day. The book teaches children the concept of "bucketfilling";  doing good deeds and treating others kindly. I feel that this story allows a child to visualize a place where their mitzvot can be seen- the bucket's "purpose is to hold your good thoughts and feelings about yourself," as well as others. 

There is another side to bucketfilling, that the book refers to as "bucketdipping." This term involves all types of bullying. The story teaches children that being mean, leaving out a friend or calling someone a name can empty their bucket - as well as your own. This is a lesson that is important and relavent at any age. My philosophy is that the earlier our children can learn such life lessons, the better. 

Our class read this very important story today, and then each child was given their very own bucket to decorate. These will be taken home by the students so that they can visualize filling their buckets every day. Each child's bucket is unique and beautiful; everyone was so excited to show them off to each other!
 
I wish for my classroom to be a warm and safe place where a child can feel at home. It fills my bucket when a child gives me a big hug or tells me that they love school. Reading this story encouraged discussion amongst my students about the difference between a bucketfiller and a bucket dipper, and which they hope to be each day. The story states, "You fill a bucket when you show love to someone, when you say or do something kind, or even when you give someone a smile...that's being a bucketfiller. All of the adults in our world could use the same philosophy and attempt to be a bucketfiller each and every day. I am looking forward to a wonderful and meaningful year with all of my young bucketfillers-together we can teach each other to keep our buckets full and our smiles on! 
Miss Brooke's Class!

 For more photos from today's bucketfilling adventure, visit our Facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment